Monday, October 24, 2011

Crock Pot Thai Coconut Chicken


Thank goodness it's Crock Pot Monday. I just sent my dear 6th grader off to Outdoor School this morning and I already miss him. We had a busy weekend with sports activities, birthday parties and packing for Outdoor school. In the midst of all the chaos, I pulled out all my Halloween decorating bins, in hopes of decorating the house {and of course I didn't get very far}. So, now that it's pouring outside, it's a perfect day for me to pull out the Crock Pot and let it slave in the kitchen, while I get my house {and myself} organized for the week and decorated for the upcoming holiday. Here is a great recipe for you to try. A good friend of mine shared this with me over a year ago. At the time, I didn't have all the ingredients the recipe asked for and I wasn't in the mood to run to the grocery store, so I decided to change it up a bit. It turned out perfect, so I never tried to make it any other way. I have since made this recipe again and again, as it has become one of my husbands favorite recipes, hands down. I hope you like it, too.

Ingredients:
  • 1 {13.5 oz} can coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp red chili paste {add more for extra spiciness - not too much, it's hot!}
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 2 medium yams, washed, peeled and diced
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 2 cups jasmine rice
  1. In slow cooker, add coconut milk, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, salt and chili paste. Stir together. Combine all other ingredients in Crock Pot {minus rice} and mix together. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until yams and peppers are tender.

  2. Prepare rice as indicated on package. Serve the chicken dish over rice, pouring extra sauce over dish for flavor.

{Tip!} Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or basil leaves for garnish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment