Saturday, October 29, 2011

Crock Pot Lentil Ham and Swiss Chard Soup


As a child, I always loved lentil soup. I remember my Mom packing my Holly Hobbie lunchbox and filling my thermos full of lentil soup for lunch at school. I always sat next to the same girl, who would bring a large, whole green pepper and eat it just like an apple. I was always so intrigued with how she could eat a whole green pepper for lunch and actually like it, as if my lunch was so 'normal'. Today, there is no way I could get my kids to eat lentil soup or a whole green pepper for lunch at school without a fuss. If I could, I would be the happiest parent ever. Until then, my husband and I will have to enjoy this comforting bowl of protein and goodness alone. It is the perfect soup for the fall season and it is oh-so-good. I like to serve this soup with warmed bread or rolls, as it is an amazing, healthy and filling meal. If only my kids knew what they were missing.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked ham, diced
  • 1 large onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
  • 3 celery stalks, sliced
  • 2 tsp crushed dried thyme
  • 1 large bunch of swiss chard, rinsed and chopped or shredded into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 tsp kosher salt {if desired}
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
In a 5 quart or larger Crock Pot, combine all ingredients together and stir. {Chard will take up a lot of space at first, but will cook down in size as it cooks}. Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours. Serve, adding more salt and pepper, to taste, if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment