Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chicken, Asparagus and Mushroom Casserole


Another great casserole Wednesday. I had some asparagus and mushrooms that I needed to use, so I took an old recipe I had and turned it into this wonderful casserole dish. Despite my lack of photography skills this evening, this is the perfect fall dish and it is absolutely delicious. So, just to clarify, the little black 'pieces' on top of the casserole are portabella mushroom pieces from the cream of portabella mushroom soup I used. My husband thought they were black beans and my photograph confuses the rest of us as well. The look of this casserole and my photo does not do this dish any justice. In this case, I'm just asking you to remember what we have always been told to do..."never judge a book by it's cover". Regardless of what it looks like, this is one tasty casserole. I promise.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 2 cups asparagus, sliced into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 {6 oz} pkg bread stuffing mix
  • 1/4 cup white wine {if desired}
  • 1 {14 oz} can chicken broth
  • 1 {10 oz} can cream of mushroom soup {I prefer trader joe's 11 oz box of condensed cream of portobello mushroom soup}
  • salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 2 to 3 quart casserole dish.
  2. In large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and garlic.
  3. Add chicken pieces and stir until the outside of the chicken is no longer pink. Season chicken pieces lightly with a dash of salt and pepper.
  4. Add the mushrooms and asparagus and stir. Cover for about 5 minutes, or until the asparagus is crisp-tender. Season with a dash of salt and pepper, if desired.
  5. Transfer mixture to lightly greased casserole dish. Top mixture with stuffing mix.
  6. Add wine to skillet {if desired}; cook and stir over medium heat until it starts to lightly bubble. Add chicken broth and mushroom soup. Cook and stir until blended.
  7. Using a ladle, generously spoon mixture evenly over stuffing mix. Mix well.
  8. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until heated through and lightly browned.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment