Monday, November 28, 2011

Crock Pot Beef Bolognese Sauce with Rigatoni


It's that special day of the week that doesn't allow me to sit for a minute - the lovely and wonderful Monday. As crazy as this day can get, I secretly love it. It's the non-stop, on-the-go-chaos that I wouldn't change for the world. Of course, with it being Monday the Crock Pot surely makes its way out of hibernation and back onto the countertop. I decided to make this recipe that I received by email from the Real Simple magazine that I subscribe to. I changed it up a bit and it turned out delish. This makes a great big pot {that we like for leftovers}. But, if you aren't cooking for many and you don't want a ton of leftovers, you may want to halve the recipe amounts. I am thinking lasagna might be good with the extra I served this on a bed of rigatoni noodles with a green salad and my quick and easy crostini's {see recipe in appetizers}. It was a perfect meal to fuel us up for our busy week. I am thinking lasagna with my leftover sauce for later in the week...this Monday just keeps getting better and better...


Ingredients:
  • 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, washed and finely chopped
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 lb ground sirloin
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 {28 oz} cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 {28 oz} can crushed tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 {6 oz} can tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp pepper {I like to use 1 full tsp}
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 {or 2} pkg rigatoni noodles
  • shredded parmesan, if desired

  1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine olive oil, chopped onion, chopped carrot and chopped celery stalks. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.
  2. Add the sirloin to skillet and cook, stirring frequently until no longer pink.
  3. Add the milk to the skillet and mix together. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, stirring.
  4. Transfer mixture to 5 quart {or larger} Crock Pot. Combine diced and crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir generously.
  5. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or High for 3 to 4 hours
  6. Prepare rigatoni noodles as indicated on package 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving. Top with shredded parmesan, if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment