Thursday, December 15, 2011

Nova Scotia Oatmeal Cookies


This is a great recipe my grandmother and my mother always made for us growing up. It continues to be a popular recipe in our family. My son requested I make these cookies for a holiday party at his school. They were a hit, as the kids gobbled each and every one of them up. After school my son had his friends over and they were raving about how good they were. Of course, they began gobbling up the home batch I had made. It reminded me of when I was little, these cookies would always just disappear when my mom or grandmother would make them. They are the best. This recipe is a delicious combination of a classic oatmeal cookie and your basic granola bar. I just love the brown sugar with the hint of salt together. They are my absolute favorite as they take me back to my childhood.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup {1 stick} butter, cut into five squares
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups quick oats

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix together. Stir in oats until well blended.
  3. Press mixture into ungreased brownie pan {so it is even and flat across pan}.
  4. Bake in pre-heated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture bubbles and turns a light golden brown.
  5. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Cut into squares while still slightly warm.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment