Friday, December 2, 2011

Cream Cheese Shortbread with Pecans


I was craving shortbread but wanted to try a recipe that was a little different from the norm. I was pleasantly surprised to find this recipe that I had ripped out from one of my magazine subscriptions {I wish I knew which one it was}. I changed it up by adding pecans, rather walnuts, which the original recipe had called for. I thought these little shortbread balls turned out fabulous. They were subtle enough in sweetness to not be overwhelming and, with the cream cheese and pecans, it gave these cookies the perfect shortbread twist I was looking for.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
  • parchment paper

  1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add pecans and stir. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer {using paddle attachment}, beat together butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla on medium speed. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
  4. Reduce mixing speed to low and add flour mixture. Mix for 30 seconds. Remove bowl from mixer and use a fork or rubber spatula to finish mixing the dough until blended.
  5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll 1 1/2 tablespoon dough balls; spacing them 1 inch apart. Gently flatten each dough ball by lightly pressing the top of each cookie.
  6. Place in preheated oven and bake for 14 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
  7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment