Monday, December 5, 2011

Hearty Steak Chili


Love my Crock Pot Mondays. I could not get through this crazy day as smoothly without my lovely Crock Pot. It has been chilly outside, so I decided to make a hearty chili for dinner. This recipe was adapted from a cookbook I received for Christmas last year. I changed it up slightly, but I think this is a great recipe I will make again and again. My kids loved it, as my son decided he wanted it again for lunch tomorrow. I topped this chili with green onions, avocado, shredded cheese and my corn bread souffle. It was a perfect one pot meal and cleanup was a cinch.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 to 2 lbs sirloin or chuck steak, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 {28 oz} can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 {28 oz} can tomato sauce
  • 2 {15 oz} cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 {4 oz} can diced green chilies
  • 1 {6 oz} can tomato paste
  • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
Topping ideas: chopped green onions, avocado slices, shredded mexican blend cheese, sour cream and/or corn bread {when making corn bread, I always add a can of creamed corn to mixture to add moisture and flavor}.

  1. Combine all ingredients in a 5-quart {or larger} Crock Pot. Stir together. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until onions are tender.
  2. Top with toppings of your liking.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment