Monday, December 12, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken and Yam Curry


I love this Crock Pot Monday dish. It is so tasty and so easy to prepare. I literally chopped and threw everything in my Crock Pot within 15 minutes this morning, as I knew my day would not allow for me to have any extra time to prepare for dinner on this crazy Monday. It was a great day, I have to say. I met with my mother-in-law this morning and we shopped into the afternoon, getting most of our Christmas shopping done together. Hallelujah. This has been an annual tradition for us the past few years and it is wonderful. After the shopping madness, it was off to water polo, ballet class and then basketball. It's a series of sports activities from 4:15 to 9 pm. This is our busiest day as far as after school curriculars go, as all three of my children have scheduled activities overlapping eachother at the same time. It's crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. This is why Crock Pot Mondays are in effect and have become my saving grace.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, rinsed
  • 2 medium yams, peeled and cubed
  • 1 {15 oz} can garbanzo beans
  • 1 {14.5 oz} can diced tomatoes
  • 1 {14 oz} can chicken broth
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground red pepper {cayenne}
  • 2 to 3 cups basmati rice
  • cilantro {to top}, if desired

  1. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the curry powder, turmeric, salt, pepper and red pepper. Set aside.
  2. In a 5 quart or larger Crock Pot, combine the chicken, yams, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, peas, olive oil, garlic, ginger and lemon juice. Stir to mix well. Add curry powder spice mixture to Crock Pot, stirring to blend well with chicken mixture.
  3. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until yams are soft.
  4. Prepare rice as indicated on package at least 20 minutes prior to serving.
  5. To serve, spoon chicken curry over a bed of basmati rice. Top with cilantro, if desired.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment