Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Spicy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps


I have been craving chicken wraps for some time now and it didn't look like we would be visiting a restaurant that served them for awhile, so I decided I better step up and make my own.  I adapted this recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens mag I had, but changed it up a bit. These were incredible and are healthier than most you will find dining out.  I decided to use butter lettuce over iceburg, as I know P.F. Chang's usually serves theirs with iceburg.  I thought the butter lettuce was much better, but you decide.  I also like {and you will, too} that this is a low-cal recipe that is so easy to make. This recipe will make many wraps, so if you are only cooking for a few people, halve this recipe and use only one head of lettuce.  Serve as an appetizer or entree.  Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs uncooked ground chicken breast
  • 1 cup frozen shelled edamame {soy beans}
  • 1 cup shredded carrots {I buy pre-shredded bag of carrots}
  • 5 green onions, white parts only
  • 1 {8 oz} can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
  • 4 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce, {plus extra, to top}
  • 2 tsp reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
  • 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 1 Tbsp chili paste
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp pepper {use 1/4 tsp for less spice}
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 or 2 heads butter lettuce
  • 1 or 2 avocados, sliced, to top
 
  1. Combine all ingredients {minus butter lettuce leaves and avocados}, in Crock Pot.  Using a spatula or spoon, break up meat and stir all ingredients together to mix well.  
  2. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours, stirring every 1 or 2 hours to break up meat.  
  3. Serve a scoop of chicken mixture atop each butter lettuce leaf.  Top with avocado slices and drizzle with soy sauce.  Wrap, roll or fold each filled butter leaf to serve.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment