Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


This is one of my Mom's famous holiday recipes. She has made this cake for many years, especially around the holidays. It's funny, growing up, I never liked this cake because it had zucchini and nuts in it and I thought that made it 'weird'. {Really, I never gave it a chance}. Now, I can't imagine what in the world I was thinking?! All those years I was just missing out on this amazing cake and I kick myself. I keep telling my kids the same thing, that they are only going to realize what they missed out on later because they are so picky. Although, my kids really enjoyed this cake {I just failed to mention that there is 1 pound of zucchini in it}. You must try this, it is oh-so-good...

Ingredients:
  • 3 to 4 medium zucchini {about 1 lb}, grated
  • 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 lb {2 1/3 cups} light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 squares {1 oz. each} unsweetened bakers chocolate, melted
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

For Glaze {directions below}:

  • 1 cup confectioners powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
  • 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • Dash of salt

  1. Grate zucchini to equal 3 cups - set aside.
  2. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease and flour 10 inch bundt pan.
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and ground cloves. Mix well and set aside.
  4. In a large mixer bowl, {with mixer set on medium speed}, beat vegetable oil and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating each addition until smooth.
  5. Add melted unsweetened bakers chocolate and blend. Fold in zucchini. Then, slowly beat in flour mixture. Add chocolate chips and pecans. Mix well.
  6. Pour mixture into prepared pan evenly and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes {or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean} .
  7. Remove from oven and cool in pan approximately 20 minutes. Use a butter knife to inch around rim of pan to loosen cake.
  8. After 20 minutes, remove cake from pan and cool on wire rack. Drizzle with glaze {see below}.
Glaze directions {see ingredients above}:
  1. Blend sugar with butter, then all remaining ingredients. Drizzle with spoon over cooled cake.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment